Licensing FAQ ˇ
1. WHAT PERMISSIONS DO I REQUIRE TO USE A SONG IN MY PROJECT?
In order to clear any music for inclusion in an audio-visual production you need to obtain two separate permissions, one from the owner of the specific Master Recording of the work (the Record Label) and one from the owner of the Musical Work written by the Songwriter (the Publisher).
In many cases Warp Records and Warp Music Publishing collectively control both the Master Recording and Publishing rights and will be able to clear both sets of rights (‘both sides’) in one go. For more information, please contact us directly.
2. MY PROJECT IS NOT-FOR-PROFIT / DOES NOT HAVE A BUDGET– CAN I LICENSE A TRACK FOR FREE?
We do not grant fee-free licenses.
3. HOW MUCH WILL THE LICENSE COST?
There are a number of factors we consider when formalising a quote for you, subject to obtaining approval from the Artist/Composer. These include:
- The popularity of the ‘Song’ and profile of the Artist
- Nature of the production (Is it a Feature Film? TV Series? Commercial? Corporate Video? Short Film? Video Game? Mobile App? etc.)
- Type of Exploitation: Theatrical (Cinema), Non–theatrical (Film Festivals, Online Streaming, TV, DVD), Video Game
- Position of the music in the project (ie. Opening / End Credits? Background? etc.)
- Duration and context – how much of the song you wish to use and how you wish to use it.
- The timeframe you require the license for (1 month/12 months/5 years/ In Perpetuity)
- Which Territories you wish to licence for your project (UK/France/USA/
- World/World excluding North America etc.)
- Whether any exclusivity is required
- What fee you have been quoted by other copyright holders of the requested track